Wednesday, September 7, 2011

PanoramaPunkt

Ugh the internet in my apartment is terrible.  I just typed up the whole story for this and when I tried to add a picture it stalled up and everything I wrote was gone. (although I guess I cant complain..)

Ok so these pictures were taken on Tuesday.  I have class from 9-12 and again at 430.  The evening class is my art class and our teacher decided to take us on a tour of pieces around the city instead of viewing them in the classroom.
After my morning class i took the ubahn to Wittenberg platz to the bank.  I got there at ten after one but they are closed from 1-2.  Luckily there was a farmers market in the platz (farmers markets are all over!)  I bought this spinach mozzarella ravioli soup thing from a russian lady and sat in the park.  i was writing in my journal when a old grandpa aged man asked if he could share the bench and commented on me being left handed.

I pulled out my map of an area I have to study for my architecture class to get a resident's perspective.  after talking for a bit, all in german-- my only understanding the main ideas of what he was saying and responding in broken german-- he pointed to a building in Potsdamer Platz and said the word "Fahrstuhl" a word I had just learned the week before.  If it had not been for this word my day would have been completely different.

"Fahrstuhl" means elevator, and I understood that he said you can take it to the top of this building in just a few seconds and you get the entire view of the city.  after going to the bank i got back on the ubahn and found the building.

I went inside and talked to the information desk worker-- again in german-- and found out it cost money to get to the top so I got a brochure and was thinking about leaving when he handed me a ticket fo free!
It was amazing!  I would absolutely recommend it to anyone visiting Berlin.
http://www.panoramapunkt.de/de/willkommen.html


View of east berlin behind me ~24th floor



east berlin



south west berlin



view of the building i was standing on.  the top of the building is the shape of a triangle.  this is the 25th floor-- the floor below has a little more space and history plaques with information and pictures that are very interesting.



office building next door-- love that you can creep on the people working!



top of sony center

Today, Wednesday, I caught up with homework and had another fieldtrip (i guess they are more like mini specific lesson tours) for my architecture class. also had my first german chocolate-- it should be illegal.

<3

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lauren! Really enjoying your blog and "seeing" all the sights! I think Michael's photography skills rubbed off on you! Hope you are having fun while learning & increasing your German skills. Oh, and I agree, there is nothing that can beat German chocolate! Oh, do they have any knitting shops in Berlin?
    Love & hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! im not sure where the knitting shops here are but i saw someone on the train who had just bought yarn and i was going to ask her --but totally dont know how to say any kind of knitting words in german haha! ill look that up. i saw my first craft store today but other than that i havent noticed many crafty stores. there arent acmoore, michaels, and joannes in every town haha.

    ReplyDelete